The beautiful Lion's Mane mushroom, known as the "hedgehog mushroom" due to its spiky appearance, is renowned not only for its delicious flavor in cooking but also for its medicinal properties as "Nature's Nutrient for the Neurons." It is highly valued in holistic medicine because of its ability to stimulate the production of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF).
NGF plays a crucial role in regulating the growth, maintenance, proliferation, and survival of specific neurons or nerve cells. Low levels of NGF have been linked to conditions such as Alzheimer's, dementia, cardiovascular diseases, and metabolic syndromes, including type 2 diabetes. Hence, Lion's Mane is regarded as a potential therapeutic option for addressing these health concerns!
● Lion’s Mane mushroom is a member of the tooth fungus group and is found growing mostly on dead hardwood trees in Europe, Asia and North America.
● In the UK and parts of Europe, it is one of only four red listed fungi, which is the highest level of legal protection, making it illegal to pick or sell wild specimens due to its scarcity.
Luckily it is not difficult to cultivate!
● Most of its traditional use has been recorded in Asia, where it was used as a tonic to promote health and longevity in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
WHAT IS LION'S MANE USED FOR?
#1 Lion's mane contains immunomodulating polysaccharides and beta glucans.
Lion's mane contains immunomodulating polysaccharides and beta glucans, which can help support a healthy gut microbiota balance. This promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, aiding in digestion and nutrient absorption.
#2 Lion's mane has been associated with supporting gut barrier function.
It helps to maintain the integrity of the intestinal lining and prevent the leakage of harmful substances. This protective effect is essential in preserving gut health and preventing the entry of toxins into the bloodstream.
#3 Lion's mane has anti-inflammatory properties.
Lion's mane exhibits anti-inflammatory properties that may contribute to a reduction in gut inflammation. This can help alleviate digestive discomfort and support overall gut health.
These combined effects make Lion's Mane a valuable supplement for dogs and cats, particularly those experiencing digestive issues or seeking to maintain optimal gut health.
#4 Beneficial for pets with gut and nerve health
Lion's mane is beneficial for dogs and cats dealing with nerve-related disorders such as hindlimb weakness or Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CCDS). By addressing both gut and nerve health, Lion's Mane offers a holistic approach to promoting well-being in pets.
BENEFITS OF LION'S MANE MUSHROOMS IN DOGS & CATS
● Supports the immune system
● A potent antioxidant
● Exhibits antibacterial effects
● May help reduce stress
● Promotes a healthy gut barrier
● Supports the gut microbiota
● Has anti-inflammatory properties
● Supports nerve injury recovery
● May alleviate neuropathic discomfort
● Aids in repairing gastrointestinal membranes and promoting gut health
These wide-ranging effects make Lion's Mane an excellent supplement choice for older pets, as well as those dealing with nerve damage or digestive issues.
It may be rare to find one in the wild, but it is easy to grow, so you can try growing Lion’s Mane from a kit at home, as well as supplementing your older dogs and cats with our extract powders for maximum benefit.